The question of whether or not Reddit Premium is worth it has been on the minds of many.
Some people believe that it’s a waste while others think that you’re getting your money’s worth.
The problem with this is that nobody can really agree on what Reddit Premium provides or if it’s even necessary in the first place.
What is Reddit Premium? Reddit Premium is a paid membership that provides added features to Reddit. Features include: new comment sorting methods; access and filtering of content by subreddit or topic and the ability to pin posts on top of your front page.
How Much Does Reddit Premium Cost?
Reddit Premium only costs $49.99 for an annual membership. This is the deal of a lifetime if you think about it, because that’s literally less than 15 cents per day and also includes all those perks we mentioned before!
It may sound like quite steep at first but consider this: Reddit Gold originally costed over 100$, so you’re saving a lot.
The catch is that Reddit Premium does not provide any extra features, at least for now: it adds more sorting methods and the ability to pin posts on top of your front page but nothing else than what all users have access too by default (except Gold members).
The best benefit is the ad-free experience.
If you’re thinking of buying Reddit Premium, I suggest that before making your decision to do a one month trial for $5.99 and see if those features are worth an extra $50 on every year or not!
You can always cancel at any time in case something goes wrong with this process so there’s no risk involved.
Is Reddit Premium Worth It?
Yes, Reddit Premium is worth it. You get a plethora of features that are unavailable to non-paying members.
- A selection from the front page with no ads or nominations
- More comment filters to help weed out trolls and spam
- New comment capabilities to save, hide or report comments
- More filtering options in r/all.
- Notification settings to allow you turn on or off all notifications
- More customization of your user profile with the ability change skin color; show personal text flair
- A selection from r/all that shows up only posts made by people who pay for Reddit Gold. These include: NSFW posts, large images and videos
- New “Friends” feature which lets people add or remove other Reddit users as friends
- User-created private chats that can have up to 30 participants
- The ability for moderators of communities with more than 100k subscribers in total (and are over the age limit) will be able both customize their flair text and select a new default set of post filters for their community
- An in-site live threading system that allows Reddit users to create and comment on discussions taking place elsewhere online
- A “Recently Viewed” bar, which appears by the side while browsing posts. The list shows links through time ordered from most recent at top; it can also be filtered by subreddit
- A “No New Posts” button that can make the subscribed subreddits’ list of posts static, no matter how many new ones are made
- The ability to configure a personal front page with specific content. This replaces Reddit’s previous four default options for displaying different types or subjects on one dashboard: Hot (top), New, Top (default) and Controversial
- The ability to pin posts that they want on the top of their front page
- “Mark all as read” button which will unsubscribe from notifications for every post in a specific subreddit or topic.
- and a lot more.
Benefits of Reddit Premium
Below are some of the benefits of Reddit Premium:
- No ads on every page (except in video posts) and no sponsored headlines; just a simple banner at top corner. The basic membership will still have advertisements, but they’re not as intrusive or many-around like it is with standard memberships.* You can download images without any watermarks.
- You can upload videos up to 15 minutes long and they won’t end with “Reddit Gold Exclusive” or start in a post editor screen, looking like you’re just browsing the site as any other user would.* The ability for every account holder on your team (up-to date) of Reddit Premium membership will get their own personal flair.
- A special badge on your account profile and post history: “A Reddit Premium member.”
- The ability to turn off ads for links, text posts or comments (both in the user interface of reddit itself). You need a separate paid third party extension if you want more than one.
- More control over where your comment appears on the page and who can see it – Compact comments for everyday discussions, Subreddit style filtering or sorting of posts
- Ability increase font size in subreddits with large text submissions like AskReddit.
- Better control over the type of notifications that get sent out to you – You can change your notification preferences in Settings and add or remove subreddits from a list.
- Notifications have more detail about what is happening on reddit – For example, “You’re mentioned” will now say who commented.
Does Reddit Premium Give Karma?
No, Reddit Premium does not give any karma. Karma is a system that determines the quality of you contributions to Reddit. It’s not something you can buy with Premium or subscribe for. It takes time and effort build up karma.
If you want to increase your karma on Reddit:
- give constructive, insightful comments and feedback to other users.
- upvote posts that you think are valuable or on topic with the Reddit community’s interest (not just your own).
- bring a different point of view when commenting as opposed from someone else who has commented before;
- comment in context for what is going on in the discussion.
- post high quality content that is not just a repost.
- be thoughtful about what you post, and be mindful of others when commenting on them or their posts.
- do all this without any solicitation for upvotes! (aka don’t ask users to help your comment reach the front page)
How Long Does Reddit Premium Last?
Reddit Premium generally lasts for one month, one year, or until cancelled depending on the subscription you choose.
How To Cancel Reddit Premium?
Sign into your account on reddit.com and scroll down to the “Premium Membership” section in settings . From there, you can cancel your Reddit Premium membership.
Does Reddit Premium Stack?
Yes, Reddit Premium received through awards stacks. A Gold Award gives you one week of Reddit Premium access and a Platinum award gives you one month of Reddit Premium access.
If you received multiple Gold or Platinum awards, the time stacks onto your current Reddit Premium subscription.
So for example, if someone has three months left on their monthly membership but they also have two weeks from two gold awards, then that person would be able to access Reddit Premium for 3 months and 2 weeks (three months from the monthly membership and two more weeks).
Can You Buy Reddit Premium With Coins?
No, you cannot purchase Reddit Premium with coins. If you have coins, you can give a Gold or Platinum award to another user so they can get Reddit Premium. However, you can’t award yourself.
You can also gift coins to someone. The recipient will find a message in their inbox from you that says “you’ve been gifted Reddit coins!”. They’ll click the link, see how many they got and select what type of membership or award.
You might be wondering, “Is reddit premium worth it?”
Ask yourself this: is the gift of never having to see a sponsored post on your front page worth $4 a month? Is being able to use night mode for extended periods of time without fear that you’re going to burn out your retinas? Are you tired of seeing posts from subreddits that you unsubscribed from years ago because they were overrun by too many pictures?
If so, then yes, reddit premium is worth it.